New Yorkgeographical name
Definition of New York
1 state in northeastern U.S. bordering on Long Island Sound, the Atlantic Ocean, Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, and the Canadian provinces of Ontario and Quebec; capital Albany area 49,576 square miles (121,898 square kilometers), population 19,378,102
2 or New York City city and port in southeastern New York at the mouth of the Hudson River population 8,175,133
Note: New York City includes the boroughs of Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island, and the Bronx and is the most populous city in the U.S.
3 the borough of Manhattan in New York City population 1,585,873
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game