New Guineageographical name
Definition of New Guinea
1 or Papua island of the Malay Archipelago in the western Pacific north of eastern Australia; divided between Indonesia on the west and Papua New Guinea on the east area over 305,000 square miles (789,950 square kilometers)
Note: Exclusive of Australia, New Guinea is the second largest island in the world.
2 the northeastern portion of the island of New Guinea which was formerly a territory and is now part of Papua New Guinea — see north-east new guinea
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game