Ne·reo·cys·tis | \ ˌnirēōˈsistə̇s\
Definition of Nereocystis
: a monotypic genus of probably annual brown algae (family Laminariaceae) of the northern Pacific that have a stripe which sometimes exceeds 100 feet in length, is hollow in its upper part, and terminates in a large spherical float supporting dependent long thin dichotomously branched laminae and that have been used as a source of potash — see sea-otter's-cabbage
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game