Mus·ci | \ ˈməˌsī\
Definition of Musci
(Entry 1 of 3)
: a class of Bryophyta comprising the mosses and being characterized by a well-developed leafy gametophyte that arises by budding from a protonema and bears sex organs among the leaves at its tip and by a sporophyte that develops from the fertilized egg, remains attached to the tip of the gametophyte, and is a naked usually stalked and operculate capsule in which asexual spores are borne — see andreaealis , bryales , sphagnales — compare eubryales , hepaticae
Definition of musci- (Entry 2 of 3)
: fly Muscicapidae
Definition of musci- (Entry 3 of 3)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game