Mur·ji'·ite | \ ˈmərjēˌīt\
variants: or Murjite \ -rˌjīt \
Definition of Murji'ite
1 : an early Muslim sect emphasizing a suspension of judgment against erring believers and the unfailing efficacy of faith over works
2 : a member of the Murji'ite sect
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game