variants: or Mutazilite \ -ˌlīt \
Definition of Muʽtazilite
1 : a Muslim philosophical school founded in the 8th century a.d. emphasizing reason in religious interpretation, free will in opposition to predestination, and the unity and justice of Allah
2 : a member of the Muʽtazilite school
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?