Definition of Mozambique
1 channel of the Indian Ocean 950 miles (1529 kilometers) long in southeastern Africa between Madagascar and Mozambique
2 or formerly Portuguese East Africa country in southeastern Africa bordering on Mozambique Channel; a republic, until 1975 a dependency of Portugal; capital Maputo area 308,642 square miles (799,380 square kilometers), population 27,234,000
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game