Mor·myr·i·dae | \ mȯ(r)ˈmirəˌdē \
Definition of Mormyridae
: a family of African freshwater fishes (order Isospondyli) that have the gill openings reduced to small slits, small eyes usually covered with skin, and the mouth small and often situated at the end of a tubular projection — see mormyrus
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game