variants: or Middle West
Definition of Midwest
region of indefinite boundaries in the north central U.S. including the area around the Great Lakes and the upper Mississippi River valley —often considered to include the area from Michigan, Ohio, and sometimes Kentucky on the east to North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Kansas on the west
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game