Mi·cro·sper·mop·ter·is | \ -(ˌ)spərˈmäptərə̇s\
Definition of Microspermopteris
: a genus of Carboniferous seed ferns exhibiting features in common with the genera Lyginopteris and Heterangium and being of special interest because of the evidence it provides concerning the origin of seed plants from the Psilophytales
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game