Definition of Mexican cypress
: an evergreen tree (Cupressus lusitanica) found from Mexico to Nicaragua that has reddish-brown bark, pendulous branchlets, and scalelike leaves and that is often cultivated for ornament or in plantations (as in Africa) for its wood also : the yellowish to reddish-brown wood of the Mexican cypress
— called also cedar of Goa, Portuguese cedar
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?