Definition of Merak
: a blue star of the second magnitude that is seen in the constellation Ursa Major and forms part of the base of the Big Dipper The outer two stars in the cup of the Big Dipper are called Dubhe and Merak. Together, they are called pointer stars and direct you across the sky to the star Polaris, also called the North Star. — Knoxville (Tennessee) News-Sentinel, 4 Sept. 2008
— called also Beta Ursae Majoris
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?