Definition of Menkar
: a red giant star of the second magnitude that is seen in the constellation Cetus Look toward the east before the first light of dawn and, midway up in the sky, you'll see stars of the wintertime sky. Aldebaran is the brightest of these—almost due east—and glowing with a reddish-orange hue. Off to its right is another bright star, though not as bright as Aldebaran, called Menkar.— Dennis Mammana, Newsday, 26 July 2008
— called also Alpha Ceti
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game