Definition of McCoy
the real McCoy or less commonly the McCoy
: something or someone that is real or genuine : something or someone that is neither an imitation or a substitute Even though I knew it was useless I tried tugging at the bars but they were the real McCoy, solid steel.— Christopher Paul Curtis These men refused to talk, but their taciturn, disciplined, no-nonsense demeanor indicated that they were the real McCoy.— Bill Weinberg
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?