Marquis of Queensberry rulesplural noun
Marquis of Queens·ber·ry rules | \ -ˈkwēnz|ˌber|ē- -b(ə)r|, |i-\
Definition of Marquis of Queensberry rules
: a code of fair play presumed to apply in any fight recognize no Marquis of Queensberry rules by which moral decorum should regulate and govern their differences— Lucius Garvin
Keep scrolling for more
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game