Definition of Manchester
1 city in northwestern England east-northeast of Liverpool made accessible to the Irish Sea by way of the Manchester Ship Canal, which stretches 35 miles (56 kilometers) to the estuary of the Mersey River population 503,000 — see greater manchester
2 town in central Connecticut east of Hartford population 58,241
3 city on the Merrimack River in southern New Hampshire population 109,565
Note: Manchester is the most populous city in the New Hampshire.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game