Definition of Maldives
low-lying islands (atolls) in the Indian Ocean south of the Laccadive Islands; a sultanate under British protection until 1965; now an independent member of the Commonwealth of Nations; capital Male area 115 square miles (299 square kilometers), population 298,968
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game