variants: or Malabar spinach
Definition of Malabar nightshade
: a plant of the genus Basella especially : an Asiatic climbing plant (B. alba) with fleshy shining leaves and small white racemose flowers that is grown in the tropics as a potherb and in temperate regions as an ornamental vine
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game