Definition of Makemake
: a dwarf planet that orbits within the Kuiper belt with a mean distance from the sun of 46 astronomical units (6.85 billion kilometers) and a diameter of approximately 930 miles (1,500 kilometers) As well as being a remarkable moon in its own right, Triton may be giving us a hazy picture of all the unexplored dwarf planets—not just Pluto, but also Eris, Makemake, Haumea and probably dozens more that wander in the outer darkness of the solar system. — New Scientist, 27 Mar. 2010
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?