Definition of Magdeburg hemisphere
: either of a pair of hemispherical cups forming when placed together a cavity from which the air can be withdrawn by an air pump and used to illustrate the pressure of air
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game