Definition of Madagascar
island located in the western Indian Ocean off southeastern Africa and noted for its unique flora and fauna; formerly a French territory; became a republic of the French Community as the Mal*a*gasy Republic \ ˌma-lə-ˈga-sē \ in 1958 ; name changed to Madagascar in 1975; capital Antananarivo area 226,657 square miles (589,308 square kilometers), population 21,842,000
Keep scrolling for more
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game