Definition of Macao
1 peninsula in the province of Guangdong, southeastern China, in the Xi River delta west of Hong Kong
2 special administrative region of southeastern China comprising Macao Peninsula and two small adjacent islands; formerly a Portuguese overseas territory with the city of Macao as its capital area 9.1 square miles (23.6 square kilometers), population 552,503
Note: The economy of Macao is based to a large extent on casinos and tourism.
3 city in the special administrative region of Macao population 469,000
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game