variants: or M-1 rifle
plural M-1's or M-1 rifles
Definition of M-1
: a gas-operated semiautomatic .30 caliber rifle fed from a magazine containing a clip of eight rounds, mechanically capable of firing 16 to 32 rounds a minute, having an effective range of 500 yards, and weighing 9¹/₂ pounds
— called also Garand rifle
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game