variants: German Luxemburg
Definition of Luxembourg
1 province of southeastern Belgium in Wallonia; capital Arlon area 1706 square miles (4418 square kilometers), population 275,700
2 landlocked country in western Europe between Belgium, France, and Germany; a grand duchy area 999 square miles (2597 square kilometers), population 512,000
3 city and capital of the country of Luxembourg population 95,000
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game