Definition of Louisiana
state of the southern U.S. that includes the vast delta through which the Mississippi River flows into the Gulf of Mexico; capital Baton Rouge area 48,523 square miles (126,160 square kilometers), population 4,533,372
Keep scrolling for more
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game