Definition of Lorraine
region and former duchy of northeastern France around the upper Moselle River and the Meuse River; remnant (Upper Lorraine) of the medieval kingdom of Lo*tha*rin*gia \ ˌlō-thə-ˈrin-j(ē-)ə \ including also territory to the north (Lower Lorraine) between the Rhine River and the Schelde River — see alsace-lorraine
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game