Definition of Libyan alphabet
: an alphabet of consonantal characters of simple geometric form of uncertain origin but perhaps derived in part from the Punic or neo-Punic alphabet in which several hundred inscriptions in the Libyan language are known from the late pre-Christian period and the first several centuries of the Christian era principally from what are now Tunisia and eastern Algeria
— called also Numidian alphabet— see tifinagh
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game