Definition of Lewes
(Entry 1 of 2)
George Henry 1817–1878 English philosopher and critic
Definition of Lewes (Entry 2 of 2)
1 the upper Yukon River south of its junction with the Pelly River
2 town in southern England on the Ouse River south of London
Note: Lewes is the capital of East Sussex.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Looking at ‘Bothsidesing’
- On ‘Infringe,’ ‘Encroach,’ and ‘Impinge’
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/20/19
- A Note on the Nonbinary 'They'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?