Definition of Lewes
(Entry 1 of 2)
George Henry 1817–1878 English philosopher and critic
Definition of Lewes (Entry 2 of 2)
1 the upper Yukon River south of its junction with the Pelly River
2 town in southern England on the Ouse River south of London
Note: Lewes is the capital of East Sussex.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game