Definition of Lepus
1 : a genus (the type of the family Leporidae) comprising the typical hares
2 astronomy : a constellation that is visible south of the constellation of Orion and that is represented by the figure of a hare Tucked away directly south of Orion are two small constellations that are far enough off the galactic plane to show galaxies, but still contain clusters and nebular in our home galaxy. Lepus the Hare holds eight stars brighter than 4th magnitude, and the form of a rabbit can indeed be made out with some imagination.— Tom Polakis, Astronomy, February 2003
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game