Lep·i·dos·tei | \ ˌlepəˈdästēˌī\
Definition of Lepidostei
in some classifications
: a group or order of ganoid fishes that includes the Lepisosteidae and several related extinct families now usually divided between the orders Cycloganoidei, Halecostomi, and Ginglymodi and that has numerous representatives in the Mesozoic and constitutes the dominant type of fish in the Jurassic
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game