Lep·i·do·den·dra·les | \ -ˌdenˈdrā(ˌ)lēz\
Definition of Lepidodendrales
: an order of arborescent fossil plants (class Lycopodineae) arising during the Lower Devonian, being a conspicuous floral element throughout the Carboniferous, and being characterized by dichotomous branching both in the formation of the crown and of the thick spreading rootlike supports — see lepidodendraceae
Keep scrolling for more
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game