Lep·i·do·den·dra·les | \ -ˌdenˈdrā(ˌ)lēz \
Definition of Lepidodendrales
: an order of arborescent fossil plants (class Lycopodineae) arising during the Lower Devonian, being a conspicuous floral element throughout the Carboniferous, and being characterized by dichotomous branching both in the formation of the crown and of the thick spreading rootlike supports — see lepidodendraceae
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game