Definition of Leeds
1 city on the Aire River in West Yorkshire, northern England population 475,000
Note: The University of Leeds, located in Leeds, is the largest university in the Yorkshire region.
2 city east-northeast of Birmingham in central Alabama population 11,773
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game