Lam·pyr·i·dae | \ lamˈpirəˌdē\
Definition of Lampyridae
: a family of beetles of medium or small size having usually an elongate form and rather soft wing covers which do not clasp the sides of the abdomen and including many nocturnal species with luminous organs as well as some species with wingless females — see cantharidae , glowworm
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?