Definition of Laminariales
: an order of marine brown algae that include many economically important kelps, are largely restricted to cold or polar seas, are distinguished by a complex and often very large sporophyte which is usually differentiated into well-defined holdfast, stipe, and blade, and have microscopic gametophytes
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game