La·bou·chère | \ ˌlabüˈsher\
Definition of Labouchère
: a system of betting on roulette, faro, and other games whereby the bettor takes a column of consecutive numbers consistent with the amount he is willing to risk and bets the sum of the top and bottom numbers, canceling the numbers involved in any bet won and adding to the series the amount of each bet lost
Keep scrolling for more
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game