Kep·ler's law | \ ˈkeplə(r)z-\
Definition of Kepler's law
1 : a statement in astronomy: the orbit of each planet is an ellipse that has the sun at one focus
2 : a statement in astronomy: the radius vector from the sun to each planet generates equal orbital areas in equal times
3 : a statement in astronomy: the ratio of the square of the revolution period to the cube of the orbital major axis is the same for all the planets
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game