variants: or less commonly Kazakstan
Definition of Kazakhstan
country in northwest central Asia extending from the Caspian Sea to the Altai Mountains and containing Lake Balkhash and parts of the Aral Sea; a constituent republic of the U.S.S.R. 1936–91; capital Nursultan area 1,048,300 square miles (2,715,097 square kilometers), population 16,009,597
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game