Definition of Kansas
1 or Kaw \ ˈkȯ \ river 169 miles (272 kilometers) long in the eastern part of the state of Kansas flowing east into the Missouri River — see smoky hill
2 state of the central U.S. containing the geographical center of the Lower 48; capital Topeka area 82,277 square miles (213,097 square kilometers), population 2,853,118
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game