variants: or Kalapuya or less commonly Calapooya or Calapuya \ ˌkaləˈpüyə \
plural Kalapooia or Kalapooias or Kalapuya or Kalapuyas
Definition of Kalapooia
1a : an Indian people of the Willamette basin, Oregon
b : a member of such people
2a : a language family of Oregon including Kalapooia and Yoncalla
b : a language of the Kalapooia family formerly spoken in the Willamette basin, Oregon
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game