Definition of Jura
1 canton of western Switzerland bordering France area 322 square miles (834 square kilometers), population 72,000
2 mountains in France and Switzerland extending about 145 miles (233 kilometers) along the boundary; highest peak is Mount Neige (in France) at an altitude of 5652 feet (1723 meters)
3 island 24 miles (39 kilometers) long in western Scotland, one of the Inner Hebrides south of Mull
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game