Definition of Johnny-jump-up
1 : a common cultivated European viola (Viola tricolor) which has short-spurred flowers usually blue or purple mixed with white and yellow and from which most of the garden pansies are derived broadly : any of various small-flowered cultivated pansies
2 : any of various American violets
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?