Definition of Jeremiah
1 : a major Hebrew prophet of the seventh and sixth centuries b.c.
2 : person who is pessimistic about the present and foresees a calamitous future
3 : a prophetic book of canonical Jewish and Christian Scripture — see Bible Table
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?