Definition of Jeremiah
1 : a major Hebrew prophet of the seventh and sixth centuries b.c.
2 : person who is pessimistic about the present and foresees a calamitous future
3 : a prophetic book of canonical Jewish and Christian Scripture — see Bible Table
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game