Definition of Java plum
: a large fast-growing tree (Syzygium cumini synonym Eugenia jambolana of the family Myrtaceae) that is native to tropical southeastern Asia, has glossy turpentine-scented evergreen leaves, fragrant white to pink flowers, and clusters of small round to oblong slightly sweet or acidic dark fruit
— called also black plum, duhat, jambolan, rose apple
Note: The bark of the java plum yields a brown dye that is rich in tannins. The bark, leaves, flowers, fruit, and seeds are used for medicinal purposes.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?