Definition of Java plum
: a large fast-growing tree (Syzygium cumini synonym Eugenia jambolana of the family Myrtaceae) that is native to tropical southeastern Asia, has glossy turpentine-scented evergreen leaves, fragrant white to pink flowers, and clusters of small round to oblong slightly sweet or acidic dark fruit
— called also black plum, duhat, jambolan, rose apple
Note: The bark of the java plum yields a brown dye that is rich in tannins. The bark, leaves, flowers, fruit, and seeds are used for medicinal purposes.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
- 7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
- Word Well Used: 'Resplendent'
- Machiavellianism and (A Whole Lot) More
Ask the Editors
- That Sounds Right/Write/Wright Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game