Definition of Japanese spaniel
1 : a toy dog originating in Japan that is bred chiefly as a pet, that differs from the pekingese in its proportions of body and legs, and that is characterized by a silky coat and black and white or red and white coloring
2 : a breed of dogs comprising the Japanese spaniels
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game