Definition of Japanese privet
: either of two Asiatic evergreen privets:
a : an erect shrub or small tree (Ligustrum lucidum) of China, Korea, and Japan with glabrous dark green usually acuminate leaves and flowers in long erect panicles
b : a somewhat smaller shrub (L. japonicum) of Korea and Japan with usually more obtuse darker green leaves and flowers in looser more lax panicles
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game