Definition of Japanese barberry
: a compact ornamental Japanese shrub (Berberis thunbergii) that has simple spines, entire oblong or spatulate leaves, yellowish flowers either solitary or in small umbels, and bright red persistent berries and that is widespread in cultivation especially for hedges — compare common barberry
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game