Definition of Japanese ash
1 : an Asiatic tree (Fraxinus mandschurica) having light yellowish wood with a grain resembling that of oak
2 : the wood of Japanese ash used especially for veneer and joinery
— called also tamo
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game