Definition of Jacob's ladder
1 : any of a genus (Polemonium) of herbs of the phlox family that have pinnate leaves, a bell-shaped corolla, and a several-seeded capsule especially : a perennial herb (P. caeruleum) with bright blue or occasionally white flowers
2 : a marine ladder of rope or chain with wooden or iron rungs
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game