Ivory Coastgeographical name
Definition of Ivory Coast
1 region of western Africa bordering on the Atlantic west of the Gold Coast
2 country in western Africa including the Ivory Coast region and its hinterland; a republic; formerly a territory of French West Africa; official capital Yamoussoukro, seat of government Abidjan area 124,503 square miles (322,463 square kilometers), population 22,650,000
Keep scrolling for more
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game